Beginnings: Paris , France, 1930
In a number of young women coming to him for spiritual direction,  Father Maurice Gaucheron, a priest on the staff of the Basilica of Montmartre in Paris recognized a call to the monastic life that, for reasons of insufficient health, remained unfulfilled. Fragile health necessarily excluded these young women from existing monasteries
1938: The "Congregation of the Sisters of Jesus Crucified," is established in the diocese of Meaux as an institute of Diocesan Right .

1950: The Congregation is raised to the rank of Pontifical Right.

1960: The Congregation receives the Church's definitive approval.

1984: The Congregation joins the international Benedictine Confederation (O.S.B.).
Susanne Wrotnoska who became Notre Mère

Father Gaucheron believed that monastic life could and should be open to young women such as these. In illness and physical frailty he  saw a means of following Jesus into the mystery of his Pasch.

He spoke of his project to Suzanne Wrotnowska, the future Mother Marie des Douleurs, entrusting its unfolding to her. From the beginning, our Mother Foundress formed the sisters on the basis of the Rule of Saint Benedict. Our Benedictine identity was affirmed when, after more than fifty years of growth, the Congregation was received into the Benedictine Confederation (O.S.B.).

April 11, 1930: During a Mass celebrated in the crypt of the basilica of Montmatre, Mother Marie des Douleurs and the first sisters consecrate themselves in view of the future Institute.

September 1933: Bishop Lamy, of the diocese of Meaux, France, recognizes the young  Institute of Jesus Crucified.

1933: The first of our monasteries, Saint Joseph 's Priory (the present Mother House) opens at Brou-sur-Chantereine , France .

1936: With twenty-five sisters it becomes necessary to open a second monastery in Tournai, in Belgium . In 1940, the second World War makes it necessary to close this house. In the course of time, other monasteries are opened elsewhere.

First house of the Congregation - St. Joseph